Lots of businesses are finally starting to go green and why not? It’s great PR – especially when you endear yourself to the community by showing that you care about the environment. It’s also a great way to efficiently run a business and, when we use that e-word, it often means that you’re saving some green when you decide to make yours a green business.
Below are just a few of the ways that many businesses across the country have gone green.
1. Doing business with green energy providers. Services like EnergyProvidersTexas.com source their power through alternative and renewable energy methods like hydropower, wind power and even solar energy. And because these methods don’t involve fossil fuels or any pollution-causing chemical reactions, they are less destructive and could even be cheaper in the long run.
2. Installing motion-detecting light sensors. You might have seen these if you work in modern office or have interviewed in one. There are no light switches and yet, when you enter the room, the lights magically flash on. Motion-detecting light sensors are a great way for businesses to ensure that the lights stay on in a room only when it’s in use; cutting back on energy waste.
3. Moderating water usage in the restrooms. Much like the sensors used to determine when the lights come on, there are also sensors used on the toilets and faucets that tell these devices when they should function. Some bathroom stalls even have two flush modes: one for fluid waste and another for larger amounts of waste. Both methods help moderate the use of water and minimize needless waste of water.
4. More reliance on windows and skylights. The installation of windows and skylights help make use of all the natural lighting happening outside. There are even special fixtures that operate on the same principal as skylights, and are capable of redirecting the light that shines down on the roof of a building to various fixtures spread all throughout the office.
5. Office-wide recycling programs. Even though many offices try to embrace the concept of going paperless, the fact remains that too much paper is wasted. Seeing this as a problem, many green offices now institute company-wide recycling programs that help minimize the amount of paper, plastic and glass waste being produced.
Category: Guest Posts