I am a tea tree oil fanatic. It is the best natural cure all I have found and I keep a bottle handy all the time. Tea Tree Oil or officially melaleuca oil, is a pale yellow color to nearly colorless and clear essential oil with a fresh camphor scent. It is derived from the leaves of the tea tree that is found in the Northeast coat of New South Wales, Australia. A big thank you to the Aussies! This powerhouse of an essential oil has only recently been studied for it’s phenomenal anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-viral properties and the results are pretty impressive. Here are ten uses for tea tree oil that will make you think it is a tiny first aid kit in a bottle.
1. Mix it with rubbing alcohol makes a perfect foot spray, with it’s anti-fungal properties it will keep foot odor and athletes foot at bay. (There have also been studies that show it is as effective at clearing up toe nail fungus as some prescription medications.)
2. I personally have sent the kids to camp with tea tree oil and alcohol mixed in a spray bottle at about 50/50. It is great for bug bites, to calm the inflammation and the itch. I have found it to be an effective bug repellent. I have never gotten a tick, chigger or mosquito bite when I used this mix, even the horse flies will leave me alone.
3. Tea tree oil is a great acne medication with it’s anti-bacterial properties. It will heal that little bump quickly without the extreme drying effects of some over the counter treatments.
4. This little bottle of natural healing is also effective in treating cold sores, herpes outbreaks and canker sores. Just be sure not to ingest it.
5. Tea tree oil can also help with body odor. A few drops in your bath water will keep you smelling fresh.
6. It’s mild antiseptic properties make it a good choice for cuts and abrasions.
7. It is effective in treating lice and scabies infestations, killing those little buggers on contact. (I know, I’m scratching just thinking about it.)
8. If you have a sinus infection or stopped up snout you can put a few drops in your bath or in the vaporizer. You will breath easier.
9. Tea Tree oil has been shown to be effective in treating candida.
10. It is an effective cleaning agent as well for the kitchen and bath with the anti-bacterial properties, just mix with with water in a spray bottle.
Be sure to check with your doctor or pharmacist before starting treatment of any kind. Tea tree oil has been shown to be an irritant for some people. There are several varieties of tea tree oil so do a little research, as the quality and type matter. You can find out more about the fabulous essential oil here, here and here.
Be eco beautiful.
Category: Go Green Fashion
About the Author (Author Profile)
Melinda received her degree in Communications from Drury University. After working in marketing for many years, she refocused her career and is now a freelance writer and artist.
Melinda brings her love of fashion, beauty and the environment together to find eco-friendly clothing and products each week.
She resides in the midwest with her wonderful husband and a really great dog.